1. The annual Warley National Model Railway Exhibition is held at which venue?
(a) Alexandra Palace
(c) Peterborough Show Ground (d) O2 Arena2. The editor of ‘Model Railway’ magazine is:
(a) Steve Flint
(b) Phil Parker
(c) Richard Foster
(d) Mike Wild3. What is the name given to a North American railroad car placed at the end of a train which was used to provide shelter for the crew who were formerly employed for switching and shunting duties?
(d) Canoe4. From the stories of ‘Thomas The Tank Engine’ by Rev. W. Awdry, what colour was Percy?
(d) Green5. The first of the Richard Beeching reports from the early 1960’s identified the number of miles of railway line scheduled for closure; this was given as:
(a) 5,000 miles
(b) 10,000 miles
(c) 15,000 miles
(d) 20,000 miles6. What is the Whyte Notation for a steam locomotive wheel configuration described by the name ‘Atlantic’?
7. OO-gauge model railways were launched by ‘Bing’ in which year?
(d) 19518. In 2015 the world speed record for a train was set by the Japanese Shinkansen or Bullet train. What was the record breaking speed?
(d) 375mph9. In which country do mineral ‘ore’ trains, travelling down the coast, generate five times the amount of energy they require for traction, which is sufficient to power nearby towns as well as the return trip for other trains?
(d) Sweden10. In which country can the longest direct train route be found, spanning some 5778 miles?
(a) North America
(d) Canada11. The Bury St. Edmunds and Thetford Railway opened in March 1876. On leaving Bury, the first station stop was:
(c) Seven Hills Halt
(d) Culford12. The luxury ‘Golden Arrow’ Train was introduced by which company:
(a) London North Eastern Railway
(b) London Midland Scotland Railway (c) Southern Railway
(d) Great Western Railway13. Who narrated the televised stories of ‘Ivor the Engine’ from 1959 to 1977?
(a) Brian Cant
(b) Oliver Postgate
(c) Johnny Morris
(d) Philip Madoc14. In 1965 operation ’Hope Not’ was the code name given to the funeral plans for Winston Churchill, part of which was a train journey carrying his coffin from Waterloo to Handborough. What was the name of the locomotive used to pull the train?
(a) Winston Churchill
(b) Lord Beaverbrook
(c) Princess Elizabeth
(d) Biggin Hill15. The first underground railway station was built in 1863, but in which city?
(b) New York
(d) Paris16. The original Orient Express ran between Paris and which other city?
(d) Istanbul17. In the 1995 James Bond film ‘Golden Eye’, which type of British locomotive was adapted to look like a Russian armoured locomotive and filmed on the Nene Valley Railway?
(a) Class 37
(b) Class 40
(c) Class 20
(d) Class 3318. Track 61 is a private railway platform underneath which New York building, linking it to Grand Central Station?
(a) Empire State Building (b) Waldorf Astoria Hotel
(c) Rockefeller Plaza
(d) City Hall19. Which of the following was not a LNER steam locomotive?
(b) Flying Scotsman
(c) Duchess of Hamilton
(d) Diamond Jubilee20. What is the nickname given to Class 08 diesel shunters?
(d) Donk21. The new ‘Stadler’ intercity trains introduced on the Norwich to Liverpool Street line on the 8th January 2020 are made in which country?
(d) Switzerland22. Which one of the following underground stations can be found on the London Underground?
(a) Graham Avenue
(b) City College
(d) Woodlawn23. A semaphore signal having an arm coloured yellow with a black chevron on its face is termed,
(a) Distant Signal
(b) Home Signal
(c) Starter Signal
(d) Calling-on Signal24. The 1937 British comedy film ‘Oh Mr Porter’ starring Will Hay, was based at which fictitious Northern Irish railway station?
(d) Ballyboggle 25. Charlie Bishop is a well known internet presenter having published some 96 model railway ‘how to’ video’s on YouTube. The name of his layout is,
(c) Everard Junction
(d) New Haven26. Which Team won the final of the second series of ‘The Great Model Railway Challenge’?
(a) Railmen of Kent
(b) Who’s Counting Rivets Anyway?
(c) Team Grantham
(d) Rail Riders27. On the London Underground map, which route is represented by a grey line?
(a) Hammersmith & City
(b) Waterloo & City
(d) Jubilee28. What is the name given to the area between the two rails of the same railway track?
(d) Sleepers29. Which London station has a thirty feet high bronze statue of a man and woman embracing, called ‘The Meeting Place’?
(b) St. Pancras
(c) Fenchurch Street
(d) Charing Cross30. Which is Britains longest railway tunnel, excluding the Channel Tunnel?
(a) Mersey Tunnel
(b) Corby Tunnel
(c) Severn Tunnel
(d) Standedge Tunnel31. What was the name of the first steam locomotive to be officially recorded reaching 100 miles per hour?
(a) King George V
(c) Flying Scotsman
(d) Royal Scot32. Mallard's famous record-breaking run received no advance publicity because the attempt was disguised as,
(a) Braking trials
(b) Permanent Way measurements
(c) Crew training
(d) Running-in procedure following repairs33. Which LNER class of locomotive had the nickname of ‘Bongos’?
34. On which rail network did loco
motives known as ‘Spam Cans’ run?
(d) LNER35. In which year were the wheels set in motion to re-privatise British Rail under the British Coal and British Rail (Transfer Proposals) Act?
d) 199536. The railway line running between Norwich and Cambridge is known as,
(a) The Bittern Line
(b) The Wherry Line
(c) The Cam Line
(d) The Breckland Line37. The disused and demolished station of Bury St. Edmunds Eastgate, owned by the GER, was closed in which year?
(d) 192938. The 3rd class fare between Bury St. Edmunds Eastgate and Bury St. Edmunds was,
(a) 1d (a penny)
(b) 2d (tuppence)
(c) 3d (thruppence)
(d) 6d (sixpence)39. In the early 1970’s, what was constructed on the site of the former engine shed at Bury St. Edmunds?
(a) Ready-mix concrete plant
(b) Grain storage silo
(c) Storage sidings for redundant goods wagons & vans
(d) Storage tanks for diesel fuel40. What feature, removed in 1893, once linked the pair of towers at Bury St. Edmunds railway station?
(a) An ornate wrought iron structure denoting the initial’s ‘GER’
(b) An elaborately painted sign denoting ‘Bury St. Edmunds’
(c) A walk-way having decorative side railings
(d) A single overall roof41. What unusual incident occurred at Thurston Station on the 4th October 1850?
(a) A locomotive and and two carriages derailed, damaging a section of the ‘up’ platform and closing the line for three days while repairs were effected
(b) Two Stationmasters were killed by striking a bridge, when riding on the roof of a carriage with their backs to the engine
(c) One passenger was killed and fifteen injured when a train braked harshly to avoid hitting livestock, which had strayed onto the line
(d) A train passing a signal at danger was successfully stopped by the Stationmaster and a Porter, after they ran towards it waving flags and blowing whistles. Had the train not been stopped, it would have crashed into carriages of a second train being held in the station due to a breakdown on its locomotive42. In 1956 the ‘Official Handbook of Stations’ listed sidings at Bury St. Edmunds which were privately owned. Which one of the following companies did not own one of these sidings?
(a) British Sugar
(b) Ridley Coal & Iron
(c) Burlingham & Son
(d) Greene King43. The Ipswich & Bury Railway Company was formed by an Act of 1845, with a budget of £400,000 to build a railway line between Ipswich and Bury St. Edmunds. What difficulty was encountered at Stowmarket?
(a) Strong opposition from the Guncotton Works, who argued that sparks and cinders emitted from passing locomotives could result in the ignition of stored explosives and materials
(b) Attacks on railway construction workers and acts of vandalism by angered local residents, who’s property, land and business premises had been seized and demolished to make way for the new railway
(c) Traversing a local marsh after test bores found the bog to be eighty feet deep
(d) Strong legal opposition from the Board which was proposing construction of the Mid Suffolk Light Railway, who argued that the close proximity of the two lines in the Stowmarket area would be in direct conflict44. The Bury St. Edmunds & Thetford Railway opened on 1st March 1876, spanning just under thirteen miles. How long was the journey time between the two towns?
(a) 20 minutes
(b) 30 minutes
(c) 40 minutes
(d) 50 minutes45. Which intermediate station on the Norwich to London Liverpool Street line currently serves the greatest number of passengers?
(d) Chelmsford46. Following British Rail privatisation, the first private owner of the Felixstowe Branch Line was,
(b) National Express East Anglia
(c) Anglia Railways
(d) Network Rail47. Which model railway magazine has published several articles which are linked to the Bury St. Edmunds Model Railway Club?
(a) British Railway Modelling (b) Model Rail
(c) Railway Modeller
(d) Hornby Magazine48. Which of the following is not a real model railway scale?
(d) T49. Lego trains were first produced in 1966, with the track gauge being derived from the centre line of five Lego studs. The gauge measures,
(d) 42.5mm50. The worlds oldest working model railway is located in the National Railway Museum, York. It was built by apprentices of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway at Horwich works in 1912. Why was the model built?
(a) As a show-piece of ‘British Innovation’ to go on display at the 1913 International Engineering Exhibition in Paris.
(b) As an experimental training exercise for railway apprentices, such that their work would have ‘purpose’, rather than having to produce ‘set pieces’ for grading purposes only
(c) As the model of a proposed new section of railway, the purpose of which was to link two collieries with a new heavy industrial area, such that it could be presented to prospective investors, business managers and local dignitaries
(d) As an aid to training Signalmen at the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Signalling SchoolAnswers